The Rachel Maddow Show Highlights Tragedy Averted Thanks To Carbon Monoxide Detector
Last night, we reported on the tragic death of a young woman in Brooklyn, who was found in her car in a parking garage, dead of carbon monoxide poisoning. It was a horrible, preventable tragedy. But it was also a tragedy that might have been averted, had the parking garage where she died been equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.
Commercial parking garages must have carbon monoxide detectors installed. This gas is invisible, odorless, and tasteless – and it can kill you before you even know it’s there.
In this blog post, we’ll share some best practices for installing carbon monoxide detectors in commercial parking garages. We hope that by sharing this information, we can help prevent another tragedy like the one that occurred last night.
What Is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is highly toxic. It is produced by the incomplete burning of fuels such as oil, gas, wood, kerosene, charcoal, and gasoline. Parked cars also produce carbon monoxide when they are left running in a closed or partially enclosed area. Most commercial parking garages are partially enclosed, so it is important to have carbon monoxide detectors in place.
Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause a variety of symptoms depending on the level of exposure and the length of time exposed. Dizziness, nausea, confusion, headaches, and even death can occur with prolonged exposure. It is extremely important to have carbon monoxide detectors in place to help reduce the risk of poisoning and death.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include nausea, dizziness, headache, confusion, tightness of the chest, difficulty breathing, and fatigue. High levels of exposure can lead to coma, loss of consciousness, and death. It is important to be aware of these symptoms so that exposure to carbon monoxide can be limited as soon as possible.
It is also important to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to recognize it and get help before it becomes too severe. If you start to feel any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, it is important to get outside to a well-ventilated area. If you are still feeling the symptoms, get medical care immediately.
How To Install A Carbon Monoxide Detector
When it comes to installing carbon monoxide detectors in commercial parking garages, there are a few best practices to keep in mind.
First and foremost, it is important to create an evacuation plan for the parking garage. This should include an evacuation route, emergency instructions, and an emergency contact number. Once a plan has been established, the carbon monoxide detector installation should begin.
When installing carbon monoxide detectors, the detectors should be placed in locations that are most likely to detect any potential leak in the garage. It is important to install the detectors at least fifteen feet away from any potential sources of fuel, as this will ensure optimal detection.
It is also important to test the detectors regularly to ensure they are in proper working order. Additionally, carbon monoxide detector technology is constantly advancing, so it is important to stay informed on the latest advancements to use the most current technology available to detect carbon monoxide.
Why You Should Never Ignore A Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm
It is crucial to never ignore a carbon monoxide detector alarm. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious health risk, and responding to an alarm quickly is the best way to ensure that everyone in the parking garage is safe.
When a carbon monoxide detector alarm is set off, the cause of the alarm should be immediately determined. If the cause is a faulty detector, it should be replaced as soon as possible. If the cause is an actual leak, it should be addressed with the help of a professional.
In some cases, the alarm may be set off due to high levels of carbon monoxide in the air. This is a serious situation, and everyone in the parking garage should evacuate immediately and get to a safe place. Once outside, everyone should seek medical attention if they start experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Additional Precautions For Parking Garages
Along with installing and regularly maintaining carbon monoxide detectors, there are additional precautions that parking garage owners and managers should take to help ensure safety. These include:
- Inspect vehicles for any signs of defects before they enter the garage.
- Ensuring that adequate ventilation is provided in the garage.
- Ensuring that all combustible materials, such as gasoline and oil, are stored in sealed containers outside of the garage.
- Installing fire suppression systems in the garage if possible.
- Having a regular maintenance schedule for the equipment in the garage, including the ventilation and exhaust systems.
- Scheduling regular evacuation drills to practice responding to emergencies and carbon monoxide detector alarms.
Check Your Insurance Coverage
After taking all the necessary steps to prevent a carbon monoxide mishap in the parking garage, it is also important to check the insurance coverage to make sure it is adequate. Businesses should consider purchasing a comprehensive coverage policy that includes liability insurance covering potential injuries, property damage, and legal fees. Businesses should also consider purchasing insurance that covers medical costs for those affected by carbon monoxide exposure, as well as the cost of repairs or replacements of equipment or ventilation systems.
Before installing a carbon monoxide detector, it is essential to contact the insurer to determine what coverages may apply. For example, many policies cover the costs associated with installing the detector and any damages that may be incurred due to carbon monoxide exposure. Businesses should ensure that the coverage is adequate for their specific circumstances.
Get Your Property Inspected
As part of their carbon monoxide prevention strategy, businesses should consider having their property inspected by a qualified professional. This inspection should include a check of the ventilation system and any other areas where carbon monoxide may be present in the building.
The inspector should be able to identify any areas that need to be inspected or repaired, and they should also provide a report outlining any recommendations for making the work environment safer. This step is especially important for older properties that may have been built without the proper ventilation requirements to eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The inspection should also include an analysis of the building’s CO2 levels and other potential pollutants. The inspector should be able to assess the current state of the property and provide an estimate for the cost of necessary upgrades. Having a professional review can provide peace of mind that the business is taking the appropriate steps to ensure the safety of its employees and customers.
Protect your customers and employees with our commercial parking garage carbon monoxide detector system service!
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause death by asphyxiation. It's important to have a carbon monoxide detector system in your commercial parking garage to protect your customers and employees from this silent killer.
Our carbon monoxide detector system service will help keep your customers and employees safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. We provide installation, service, and maintenance for all types of carbon monoxide detector systems.
Contact us today to learn more about our commercial parking garage carbon monoxide detector system service!
Contact us at 310-930-5044 or visit our website: https://www.cogasmonitoring.com/. We service the following areas: LOS ANGELES COUNTY, ORANGE COUNTY, SAN DIEGO COUNTY, IMPERIAL COUNTY, RIVERSIDE COUNTY, SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY, VENTURA COUNTY, SAN FRANCISCO, and SACRAMENTO. #carbonmonoxide #carbonmonoxidealarm #comonitoringservice #CarbonMonoxideDetector #carbonmonoxidepoisoning #CarbonMonoxideSafety #CarbonMonoxideAwareness